Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Author profile - Megan D. Martin

This week we welcome author Megan D. Martin

 1 - When did you first start writing?
-I’ve been writing since I was a little kid, but I didn’t actually start trying to write a book a until around 2008.

2 - Do you read much?  If yes, have you always loved reading?
-Oh goodness, yes! Reading has always been my thing since I was young. I took (and take) solice in the fun and comfort that reading brings me.

3 -  Who’s your favorite author?  What’s your favorite book?
-This is SO hard to answer. There are so many awesome writers out there, but I would have to say Kresley Cole (I love her IAD series), Karina Halle (her EIT series is bomb.com), and Skye Warren (her books are all twisted and crazy=LOVE)

4 - What writers have influenced you the most?
-Definitely Kresley Cole. Reading her IAD series inspired me like nothing ever has. It was the first adult series that I became a fan of.

5 - Do you have a favorite fictional character?  Either from a book or movie or a tv show?
-Err…well I am a lover of many fictional characters. Most of the time I like them more than real people, lol. To pick favorites I would have to say that I am IN LOVE with Dex from Karina Halle’s EIT series and Lothaire (from Kresley Cole’s book Lothaire). As for heroines, I really love Perry (from the EIT series).

6 - What are you working on right now?  Can you tell us something about it?
-I just finished a New Adult Post-Apocalyptic Romance where the things that go bump in the night aren’t sexy…but they are dead and VERY hungry. Two past lovers find each other after the world has gone to crap and are forced to band together without falling back into the hopeless romance they were in before. There’s a lot of blood, sex, and anger. J

7 - Is there anything in particular that you do to get in the mood to write, or to get in the ‘zone’?  Any particular pre-writing routines? 
-I don’t really have a routine, but I do like for my desk to be clean.

8 - Where do you do your writing?
-I have a desktop computer in my bedroom that I do all of my work on.

9 - How do you approach your writing?  i.e. - Do you do outlines?  Character bios?  Etc.?
-I do character bios and a very basic outline. Character sheets have proved to be invaluable when it comes to my writing and help me learn who my character is before I start trying to put their story in motion.

10 - Do you have any advice for other writers?
-Don’t give up! (cliché…I know) But it is the best advice. Anything that is worth doing is going to be hard, frustrating, annoying, horrible, and perfect all at once. But it will all be worth it in the end.

11 - Are you a morning person or evening person?  Day or night?
-I am both. If I can make myself get up, I am a very good morning person. I always stay up late and most of my books were written in the wee hours of the morning.

12 - Do you have any pets?
Oh, yes. I have a pet problem, lol. Especially right now. My cat had kittens and they are everywhere. Know anyone in the North Texas area that would want one…or four? I also have an English Bulldog and four fish tanks.

13 - What’s your favorite ‘I need a break from writing’ activity?
Reading for sure!

14 - How do you approach writing sex scenes?  They can range from mild to wild.  Where are you on the mild to wild meter?
I have found that writing sex scenes are probably the hardest thing for me to write. I have this incessant worry that the scene will be boring or too short or too long or just flat out suck. My sex scenes definitely rank closer to wild.

15 - Do you write in one genre?  Or more than one?
I only write romance, but I have written under several different romantic genres—historical, contemporary, and paranormal.

16 - Are you self-published or with a publishing house?
-I am published with several small publishing houses. Breathless Press, Secret Cravings Publishing, Pagan Writers Press, and Dragonfairy Press.

17 - What are your thoughts on getting a literary agent?
-I am in the process of trying to snag a literary agent, though in all honesty I am a little up in the air about it. I think it would be a great opportunity to have one, though I’m not 100% sure it is for me. Just depends on the terms of the contract.

18 - What about marketing?  How do you approach that area?
-Marketing is so crucial for a writer. Getting your books out there in the public eye is hard and frustrating at times, but there is a great literary world out there full of book bloggers and other authors who are always willing to help promote.

19 - What about beta readers?  Do you use them?  How many do you have?  Where do you find them?
-Yes, I do. I currently have a fabulous four and HEART them. They rock. I met them through the publishing industry. Two are other authors and two are book bloggers.

20 - What’s your favorite food?
-I LOVE chicken enchiladas.

21 - What’s your favorite color?
-Any shade of blue.

22 - Is there a particular website or facebook page or blog that you, as a writer, find very helpful?
-I am a very big fan of http://www.alittlebitofrnr.com. Ren has awesome reviews and blog posts!

23 - What’s your favorite time of the year?
-Fall, when things start to cool off. Texas is wayyyy too hot.

24 - What’s your most recent book about?  And where can people buy it?
-My most recent book is called Soldier in Chains. It is a short contemporary erotica romance about a woman who wakes and finds herself chained to a sexy soldier’s bed. It can be found on Amazon and at B&N.

25 - As a writer, what do you feel is your strongest gift or talent or skill that you have, that helps you the most as a writer?
-My imagination for sure. The best part of being a writer is that I can make up anything and do anything and no one can tell me that it is wrong. J

26 - Please share some of your links with us - facebook author page, website, where people can find your books –

Look for my books on Amazon & B&N. J


Thanks for having me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment