Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The 100 word challenge - A NaNo alternative for the rest of us

If you're a writer, then you're probably familiar with NaNo, or National Novel writing month.  A couple (or maybe more) times a year, there is an event that encourages writers to commit to writing a whole novel in a month.  There’s even a website that you can sign up on and share your daily word count with others. 

I signed up for one of their websites once, but I've never gotten into the whole NaNo thing.  One thing I have a problem with about the whole thing is that they encourage quantity over quality.  They encourage you to spew out a whole book in a month. 

That’s just not my style, not my thing.  If it’s yours, and it works for you, all well and good.  But what about those writers who are like me, who it doesn’t work for?  Or what if you are a non-writer and would like to start, or improve?  What do you do?

Well, I recently discovered the solution for all the rest of us who are not NaNo people.  And here it is --

The 100 words a day for 100 days challenge.

I discovered it through a post of a facebook friend of mine. 
So basically, you commit to writing 100 words a day for 100 days. 

I like this much better than NaNo, as it will help you to develop a daily habit of writing.  With NaNo, you run the risk of burning yourself out on writing.  This is better. 

And this is something a non-writer can join in and do too.  It works for a great range of age groups as well. 

You'll find different rules posted different places.  Here’s mine:
  1. Pick a start date.
  2. Decide on how and where you are going to record and share your progress.
  3. Get an idea of what you're going to write on the first day.
Isn't that simple?  And you’ll find out that 100 words is very easy to write.  The best way to count your words is in a Microsoft Word file.  Under ‘Review’ in the ‘Proofing’ menu, there is a word count button.  I also noticed that on wattpad (www.wattpad.com), when you create a new work, that also gives you a word count as well.

So give it a try, venture forth and write.  

I’m sharing my progress via a note on my writer’s page on facebook.  I also have a word file that I'm using as my challenge journal.  

Here’s the link to my note if you want to follow my progress:


Happy writing!
--jd--

No comments:

Post a Comment