Thursday, October 3, 2013

Author profile with Kristy Centeno

 Today author Kristy Centeno drops by to answer my questions:


1 - When did you first start writing?


I’ve written stories since I was very young, but it wasn’t until two years ago when I decided to take things to the next level.

2 - Do you read much?  If yes, have you always loved reading?

Before I decided to become a writer I used to read all the time. I love to read. Lately however, I haven’t had much time to sit and read since what little spare time I have goes to my writing.

3 - Who’s your favorite author?  What’s your favorite book?

I don’t have one favorite author. I think there are too many great authors to just pick one, and if I were to name them all it would probably take me a while : )

4 - What writers have influenced you the most?

I believe that every author I have come to admire over the years influenced me one way or another. It’s hard not to feel swayed to do what you love the most when you realized that many of the same authors you admire were in the same frame of mind as you were at some point.

5 - Do you have a favorite fictional character?  Either from a book or movie or a TV show?

I can’t say that I have.

6 - What are you working on right now?  Can you tell us something about it?

Currently, I’m working on the sequel to Secrets of the Moon, which picks up immediately where the first book ends. I can’t say much about it, but

7 - Is there anything in particular that you do to get in the mood to write, or to get in the ‘zone’?  Any particular pre-writing routines?

~<>~

8 - Where do you do your writing?

Most of my writing takes place in the small office space I have just beyond the dining area of my house. Though small, it’s comfortable enough for me to work in.

9 - How do you approach your writing?  i.e. - Do you do outlines?  Character bios?  Etc.?

I do not outline my plots. I usually start out with a concept and then work up the story from there. Once I have the concept figured out I have a pretty good idea where I want the plot to go. I do, however, write a short, detailed bio for my characters so that I know where or when I want them to pop up in the story.

10 - Do you have any advice for other writers?

~<>~

11 - Are you a morning person or evening person?  Day or night?

I’m definitely a night owl. Morning just doesn’t agree with me at all.

12 - Do you have any pets?

Yes. I have six colorful parakeets.

13 - What’s your favorite ‘I need a break from writing’ activity?

When I need a break I enjoy sitting down with the kids and watching a movie. Being with my kids, spending time with them really helps melt some of the stress of writer’s block away too.

14 - How do you approach writing sex scenes?  They can range from mild to wild.  Where are you on the mild to wild meter?

For me, it depends on the story. I do write erotic romance, but I believe not every story has to have a sex scene. As much as I enjoy a steamy sex scene, I prefer a little variation in what I read. Because of this belief, I decided to follow my instincts and leave the sex scenes up to how the plot progresses.

15 - Do you write in one genre?  Or more than one?

More than one. I write Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy, Horror, and Erotic Romance. I do want to venture into other genres in the future, but for now I stick to what I’ve written so far.

16 - Are you self-published or with a publishing house?

Publishing house.

17 - What are your thoughts on getting a literary agent?

To be honest, I did submit to a few agents but either I never heard back from them or got rejected. However, even though I got rejected a few times, if I were offered the opportunity to work with a literary agent I would. I don’t hold any grudges : )

18 - What about marketing? How do you approach that area?

Because I’ve had such great experiences with blog tours, I try to book as many as I can. Blog tours are a great way to market my work because of the response from the public. Plus I enjoy sharing aspects of my writing journey to those whose interest is sparked.

19 - What about beta readers?  Do you use them?  How many do you have?  Where do you find them?

I have only one beta reader, who also happens to be a close friend. However, my publishers have beta readers of their own.

20 - What’s your favorite food?

Pasta.

21 - What’s your favorite color?

Blue.

22 - Is there a particular website or facebook page or blog that you, as a writer, find very helpful?

Authors Helping Authors (http://authorshelpingauthors.wordpress.com/) is a great website to go to for advice regarding publishing, writing, and what not to do.

23 - What’s your favorite time of the year?

Definitely the end of the year. With the holidays I get to meet up with family members I normally don’t get to see during the year.

24 - What’s your most recent book about?  And where can people buy it?

Secrets of the Moon is about a young teenage girl looking to pick up the pieces of her life after a horrible accident that nearly costs her her life and that of her best friends. However, things become a lot more complicated when a stranger walks into her life. Soon she discovers that no only is he hiding something, but that his secret can kill.

The book is available through the publishers website, Amazon, and Barnes and Nobles.

25 - As a writer, what do you feel is your strongest gift or talent or skill that you have, that helps you the most as a writer?

~<>~

26 - Please share some of your links with us - facebook author page, website, where people can find your books –








No comments:

Post a Comment