Monday, September 9, 2013

Author profile with - Lisa Day

Today finds us sitting down with author Lisa Day.

1 - When did you first start writing?

Five years ago I found myself unemployed, and since, I was over sixty years old I discovered age discrimination. This gave me lots of free time.

2 - Do you read much?  If yes, have you always loved reading? 

YES, after I healed from an experience with a bad English teacher who almost destroyed my love of reading. I don't read on a regular basic. I binge read. I won't touch a book for months and then boom. Last time I had a reading fix was last month, and I read close to fifty books in three weeks. And fickle Facebook didn't even miss me.

3 -  Who’s your favorite author?  What’s your favorite book?

I like the Historical Romance genre best, so my favorites are in no particular order. Catherine Anderson -  Bobbi Smith – Cassie Edwards – Katherine Woodiwiss
Favorite book: Wolf and the Dove

4 - What writers have influenced you the most?

The same ones mentioned above.

5 - Do you have a favorite fictional character?  Either from a book or movie or a TV show?

Yes, however being fickle they change. At this moment I'm in to the  “Hell on Wheel” TV show, so it's Anson Mount.

6 - What are you working on right now?  Can you tell us something about it?

Story about a suitor who tries to get his love to marry him against the will of her father. Except, in the dark of night, he forces the wrong woman to marry him.

7 - Is there anything in particular that you do to get in the mood to write, or to get in the ‘zone’?  Any particular pre-writing routines? 

Just wishes. Wish I could stay off Facebook. Wish I knew my craft better. Wish I had a staff to dictate everything to instead of plunk plunk on the keyboard.

8 - Where do you do your writing?

Alone in a room sitting  in front of computer. No noise, no hubby talking, and the window shade is down. When my characters come to play I give them my full attention.

9 - How do you approach your writing?  i.e. - Do you do outlines?  Character bios?  Etc.?

For the most part I have a full mental picture of where to story will go. However, I do give the characters free hand. I am often surprised because I would have never gone down some of the paths they chose.

10 - Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write, write, and write some more: like everyone else says.

11 - Are you a morning person or evening person?  Day or night?

To people I'm an afternoon person. To the computer I am a morning and night. Humm, guess that means I only have a life between one and five o'clock.

12 - Do you have any pets?

Hubby and I had a small dog. We rescue for an evil puppy mill man.

13 - What’s your favorite ‘I need a break from writing’ activity?

A nap. ZZZZ

14 - How do you approach writing sex scenes?  They can range from mild to wild.  Where are you on the mild to wild meter?

Lol depends, Lisa is trying to stay on the mild side. At least, what she types is.

15 - Do you write in one genre?  Or more than one?

I now am mostly historical Romance/fiction. I have been concentrating on American Historical ideas lately.

16 - Are you self-published or with a publishing house?

As Lisa I was with a Publishing house, but a couple of years ago she went Self-published.

17 - What are your thoughts on getting a literary agent?

Unless, you really really think you’re the next great author of the century save your time. They are harder to get than it is to get a publisher.

18 - What about marketing?  How do you approach that area?

Grrrrrr. At times it can be fun. Other times Grrr says it just fine. I do like sharing and helping other writers and at times like that better than marketing my own books and blogs.

19 - What about beta readers?
Heard of them never met one though.
Do you use them?
Wish I did.
How many do you have?
None  
Where do you find them?
Good question. A real beta reader is worth more than gold to a writer. They can help make a story the best story. They are hard to find because time involved in giving the type of feedback an author needs. Most people just say good book or nice story when what you need is honesty.

20 - What’s your favorite food?

Anything edible someone else cooked and cleaned up after.

21 - What’s your favorite color?

For many years there was nothing in my closet that wasn't blue. I still lean toward blue, but greens and lavenders are coming in a close second.

22 - Is there a particular website or facebook page or blog that you, as a writer, find very helpful?

I have several websites to go to. ON Facebook I am in a number of groups. Right now I am finding great information and support at Western Historical Romance Book Club and Authors Teaching Authors 

23 - What’s your favorite time of the year?

Bring on the changes leaves. The reds, yellows, and golds of Fall.

24 - What’s your most recent book about?  And where can people buy it?

My latest book was released last month. It's only on Amazon sites right now.
                          “Love & Betrayal on the Santa Fe”

In 1859 the opportunities for women are scant unless one wishes to take a chance. Calico Benson, a gently-bred woman who wants the security of marriage and family, answers an ad in the “Matrimonial News,” where men advertise for wives. Along with five other women, Calico sets out on the Santa Fe Trail hoping to find love at the end of the trip. What they all find is nothing short of a hellish nightmare of a journey.

Follow Calico and the others while they seek safe haven at the end of the Santa Fe Trail. Join them as they meet both the civil and the savage on their passage.

25 - As a writer, what do you feel is your strongest gift or talent or skill that you have, that helps you the most as a writer?

Lol. I have no idea why but the word boredom crossed my mind. I'm not gifted, talented, nor skilled just dislike being bored.

26 - Please share some of your links with us - facebook author page, website, where people can find your books --

My books can be found here:

Information about me or the books here:
Facebook Author Page:  http://www.facebook.com/LisaDayAuthor
Facebook Personal Page: http://www.facebook.com/lisa.day.718
Author website 1  .http://lisaday.weebly.com/


1 comment:

  1. What a nice Monday surprise. Thank you Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete