Sunday, September 15, 2013

Author profile with - Erin Armstrong

 Hello, and welcome back.  Join me today in welcoming Erin Armstrong to BNJ.

1 - When did you first start writing?

I began writing since I was ten years old. I started off writing short stories and it just grew from then.

2 - Do you read much?  If yes, have you always loved reading?

Yes. When I was young I would read the same book two, sometimes three times. It’s always been one of my favorite things to do.

3 -  Who’s your favorite author?  What’s your favorite book?

Rochelle Alers. I love all of her Hideaway books. She has so many that it’s hard to just choose one book that I love.

4 - What writers have influenced you the most?

Rochelle Alers, Mary B. Morrison. I like how well Rochelle Alers writes her love scenes. She is so tasteful and great at it. While Mary B. Morrison is raw and uncut. I Like the difference between the two.

5 - Do you have a favorite fictional character?  Either from a book or movie or a tv show?

Christian Gray! Isn’t he everyone’s favorite?

6 - What are you working on right now?  Can you tell us something about it?

I am still so busy promoting my freshman book The Twisted Truth that I have not even been able to concentrate on my second novel Dead Weight. But I do have a great concept for my sophomore book.

7 - Is there anything in particular that you do to get in the mood to write, or to get in the ‘zone’?  Any particular pre-writing routines?

Nothing besides take my shoes off, get comfortable in my chair and write. Doesn’t take much for me to get into the zone.

8 - Where do you do your writing?

Usually at home. Or at my mother’s house on a Sunday afternoon, after church

9 - How do you approach your writing?  i.e. - Do you do outlines?  Character bios?  Etc.?

I did not use an outline for The Twisted Truth. I now realize that that was not the best thing to do. However, once I begin working on my next book, I will do an in depth outline. I just feel that it would make things flow that much better.

10 - Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t be discouraged. It’s so easy to want to give up because you have writers block or life may not allow you to devote all of your time to writing. Whenever you can just sit down and write. Even if it’s not your best work. You can always go back and touch things up to make it the way you want it.

11 - Are you a morning person or evening person?  Day or night?

I’m more of a night person. There is nothing worse than having to get out of a warm bed in the morning. I love my sleep.

12 - Do you have any pets?

No pets.

13 - What’s your favorite ‘I need a break from writing’ activity?

Reading or maybe watching TV. Usually The Walking Dead or Dancing With The Stars.

14 - How do you approach writing sex scenes?  They can range from mild to wild.  Where are you on the mild to wild meter?

That is a great question. It was hard for me because my mother loves to read and others that I know do as well. So it was awkward. What I decided to do was to make it tasteful yet enough to quench the thirst of those who love sex scenes (who doesn’t?). Although I would sometimes love to just go all out and write the raunchiest sex scene, I think it works just as well keeping it in detail in more tasteful ways.

15 - Do you write in one genre?  Or more than one?

I have never tried anything else besides Romance/thriller. However I would love to do mystery or fantasy.

16 - Are you self-published or with a publishing house?

I am with a publishing house called GMTA Publishing

17 - What are your thoughts on getting a literary agent?

I think it’s a great thing to do and probably easier than advocating for yourself. However, it may not be for everyone financially.

18 - What about marketing?  How do you approach that area?

I did all of my marketing through social media and also through my website. I also did massive searches for companies willing to review my book and submitted to those companies. It’s not easy but it’s worth it.

19 - What about beta readers?  Do you use them?  How many do you have?  Where do you find them?

No I do not use Beta readers. I may have to look into that though

20 - What’s your favorite food?

Italian food. Anything with red sauce I love!

21 - What’s your favorite color?

Purple

22 - Is there a particular website or facebook page or blog that you, as a writer, find very helpful?

AskDavid.com is great for getting your book out there.

23 - What’s your favorite time of the year?

Christmas!

24 - What’s your most recent book about?  And where can people buy it?

My book is about a young woman named Michelle who was raped in college and has a child as a result of that rape. Years later, she finds the shelter that she had founded at the brink of closing its doors. That is until she meets Tyler Austin. He comes into her life, gets her company back up and running and in the midst of it all, gets Michelle to trust, adore and fall in love with him. It’s shortly after that Michelle realizes that Ty is not the man she thought he was. Events cause her to realize that if she doesn’t figure out what it is about Ty that he is keeping a secret, her life could be in danger.

25 - As a writer, what do you feel is your strongest gift or talent or skill that you have, that helps you the most as a writer?

I have always been good at building a great story. I have an overactive imagination and find it very easy to put a concept together and make it come together in an awesome way. I never knew that I could use my imagination in this way and am happy that I have found something great to do with it.

26 - Please share some of your links with us - facebook author page, website, where people can find your books –
my website is emnovels.com
facebook.com/EMNovels
or follow me at twitter.com/HisLadyE

No comments:

Post a Comment